Health is Happy!

20140606-165229-60749978.jpg
The night I flew home from Baltimore, MD.

Five months ago, I was honorably released as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I came home from my mission six months early because I had phenomena for eight of the twelve months that I served. I’m going to be totally honest here: It was miserable being sick 24/7 and having zero energy 90% of the time. I feel really bad for all of my companions because I know I wasn’t the easiest person to be around. Looking back, I wouldn’t trade my mission for anything but I wish I wasn’t sick for the entire thing.

20140606-165231-60751824.jpg
Last night in the MTC

All of the sickness started in the Missionary Training Center (MTC) when the flu, bronchitis, colds, and more broke out. We were on major lock down. No shaking hands, hugging, sharing drinks . . .ect. Basically, we couldn’t phyiscally contact each other to prevent the spread of the illness. Unfortunately, I came into the MTC with a very minor cold that cleared up after I had been there for a few days but a week later, I caught the cold again and it went straight to my chest giving me bronchitis.

As you can see from the picture compared to the night I flew home and my last day in the MTC, I dropped a lot of weight on my mission. I lost 25 to 30 lbs (I’m not really sure. We didn’t have scales in all of my apartments that I stayed in).  90% of the weight was dropped because I was so sick and the other 10% was because we biked quite a bit on my mission.

20140606-153850-56330443.jpg To be honest, I’ve always have struggled with my weight. I’ve never been “fat” or anything like that but I wouldn’t say that I’m the skinniest girl in the world.  In high school, I ranged from 125 to 150 lbs and after I graduated I gained a good twenty pounds from the stress of the divorce and college.  As you can see from the picture on the left, I’ve come a long way. I still have some toning up to do but I’m not nearly as bad before my mission (and no, I don’t think that I’m fat. Thanks).

I think the biggest reason why I’ve always struggled with my weight is because I’ve never really enjoyed exercise until now. I eat pretty healthy (I am totally guilty when it comes to frozen yogurt runs or having a two slices of pizza) on a regular basis but when it comes to exercise . . . I struggle. I don’t like being around people because I feel so self-conscious about how silly I look and I’ve never really enjoyed feeling sweaty and gross. But then again, who does?!

Anyway, the past five months, I’ve put on a little weight (that’s a good thing because all I lost was sick weight) and I’ve started going to the gym on a regular basis. It’s been quiet the adventure because I always feel so self-conscious at the gym. It’s not so much because of how I look but it’s how little I can either lift or run or whatever. My endurance is still building up but it’s coming along. I’ve made it a goal this summer to go to the gym or exercise every single day. I haven’t done that every day (I’ve gone to the gym twice this week!) but I am determined to make it a habit because my health is everything.

Today's workout!
Today’s workout!

I want to be healthy and active for my future family. I want to look good in cute clothes. But more than that, I just want to feel healthy and good about myself. It’s not so much about being a size 2 or 4 or even rocking skinny jeans. It’s about being toned and healthy. It’s about being happy about where I’m at in life. It’s being happy with who I am.  What do you do to stay healthy?!

xo

Sam

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s